Tuesday 21 July 2015

Thing 5: Online Networks

I've opted to set up a twitter account as oppose to using my Facebook page as I'm not particularly comfortable with my personal and professional networks being combined. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with combining them, I just don't think that followers on my professional network would want to see pictures of me on my holidays!

I know from having attended various library conferences in recent years that librarians have a huge presence of Twitter. I remember thinking how rude people were looking at their phones and iPads! But of course they were participating by tweeting their views and opinions of whatever was being discussed. I like twitter because of its immediacy and it gives users the opportunity to participate in debates and discussions regardless of location. I'm also aware of UK Lib Chat and the discussions that take place on various library topics and I look forward to participating in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. The level of ipad/laptop use during conferences was a shock to me initially too. I can't imagine ever doing that when I worked in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! But mobile and tablet devices combined with Twitter really do add another dimension to these sorts of events.

      Delete