Friday 21 August 2015

Thing 10: Live Streaming

Live streaming services such as Periscope and Meerkat really seem so have broken through as the newest and most exciting applications of this year. I've used it myself whilst on holiday to send videos back to my friends and family at home. Its amazing that you can send a video of the sunset on a beach half way across the world. I can see uses that public libraries may have for utilising these tools to promote events on their Twitter accounts. I can't really think of a standout use for them in my health library at the moment but this may change in the future.

From a wider library perspective, I read a particularly interesting article concerning live streaming app's and copyright recently http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/11/periscope-meerkat-broadcast-copyright-premier-league.

Now that live streaming is near mainstream and mobile, what does this mean for the legality of content delivered on these platforms. In all honesty, I believe that many people will really want to use Periscope whilst attending a live gig or sporting event to show their friends. I wonder how large rights holders will react to this in the future? And then of course what about people who blatantly use their devices to stream high profile sporting events from their televisions.Will Periscope and other such services be forced to intervene in someway? It will be interesting to see what happens.


6 comments:

  1. Gosh I didn't even think of the doors that open with this new technology - how on earth will they police this!? Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at the moment I just don't think its possible. I'm pretty sure rights holders would have to bring it to Periscope or Meerkat's or whatever platforms attention before they would have a legal obligation to intervene. So they would perhaps take it on a case by case basis but with so many users I just don't think it would be practical. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the posts only stay available for a short period. I wonder if that's why...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the posts only stay available for a short period. I wonder if that's why...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the posts only stay available for a short period. I wonder if that's why...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Live streaming definitely has potential for abuse but then again, maybe it will help drive down the cost of viewing live sport. We'll just have to wait and see... #rudai23

    ReplyDelete