Thursday 20 August 2015

Thing 9: Video

I was shocked to hear on the news quite recently that Youtube is in its 10th year. In some ways it still seems like a brand new piece of technology but then again at the same time it also feels as though it has been around forever. Its still often viewed as simply a source of entertainment, like an enormous television channel which the whole world contributes to.

But I think theres alot more to it than that. It is also a tremendous source of information. If I want to try cooking a new dish or learn how to tie a Windsor knot my first port of call is usually Youtube. So its great that many libraries are now uploading screen casts, I think its a good way of showing our users how to access e resources and so on. I certainly plan on making some instructive videos for my libraries e resources in the near future.

But for now I've attached my first attempt. Its only a minute long and the content isn't particularly exciting- its just a quick search of Cardiff University's Voyager catalogue. But it was interesting to see some of the features of Screen-Cast-O-Matic. It automatically included a circle around the cursor and also cut out the top and bottom of the computer screen which I thought was pretty useful.

http://youtu.be/nF9ySmnmuQ4?hd=1

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you found it so easy to do a screencast Rhys. It gives me confidence for when I go to do my own one. #rudai23

    ReplyDelete